Welcome!

This is a blog about my ukulele misadventures. I thought it would be interesting to chronicle how a musical instrument has changed my life.

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Baby, It's Cold Outside - Ukulele








Baby, It’s Cold Outside  (Simple version)
Music and lyrics by Frank Loesser


We hope you enjoy our amateur musings.  For the ukulele chords and lyrics, please see the full post...



I [C] really can't stay                      But baby it's [Cmaj7] cold outside

I've [Dm] got to go away                  But baby it's [G7] cold outside

The [C] evening has been                Been hoping that [Cmaj7] you'd drop in

So very [Gm7] nice                         I'll hold your [C7] hands, they're just like ice

My [F] mother will start worry                  Beautiful what’s your hurry?

And [Fm] father will be pacing the floor    Listen to the fireplace roar

So [C] really i'd better scurry                   Beautiful please don't hurry

But [Dm] maybe just a half a drink more  Put [G] some records on while I pour


The [C] neighbors might think                 Baby it's [Cmaj7] bad out there

Say, [Dm] what's in this drink?               No cabs to be [G7] had out there

I [C} wish i knew how                             Your eyes are like [Cmaj7] starlight now

To [Gm7] break the spell                         I'll take your [C7] hat, your hair looks swell

I [F] ought to say, "No, no, no sir"           Mind if I move in closer

At [Fm] least i'm gonna say that i tried     What's the sense in hurtin' my pride?

I [C] really can't [Bb7] stay                      Baby don't [A7] hold out

Ah, but it's [D7] cold      [G7] out-     [C] side



I simply must go…                     But baby it's cold outside
The answer is no…                     But baby it's cold outside
The welcome has been                How lucky that you dropped in
So nice and warm                       Look out that window at that storm

My sister will be suspicious              Gosh your lips look delicious
My brother will be there at the door     Waves upon a tropical shore
My maiden aunt's mind is vicious        Gosh your lips are delicious
Well, maybe just a cigarette more       Never such a blizzard before


I've got to get home                    But baby you'd freeze out there
Say, lend me a coat                   It's up to your knees out there
You've really been grand             I'm thrilled when you touch my hand
Why don't you see                     How can you do this thing to me?

There's bound to be talk tomorrow  Think of my lifelong sorrow
At least there will be plenty implied  If you caught pneumonia and died
I really can't stay                             Get over that hold-out

Ah,  but it's [D7] cold      [G7] out-     [C] side

  Baby,  it's [D7] cold      [G7] out-     [C] side


END


*********************************
Notes:
- I transcribed it to key of C for ease of learning.  The chord progression was also simplified.  
- I transposed this 2 whole steps down for this video (starting with G# chord instead of C chord), but because my uke is tuned a half step down (B tuning), I play an A chord for the G# chord.  

*********************************



Capo on 1st and follow the chords below

G    Gmaj7    G    Gmaj7
I really can't stay
   But baby it's cold outside

 Am    D7    Am    D7
I've got to go away
   But baby it's cold outside

 G    Gmaj7    G    G
The evening has been
   Been hoping that you'd drop in

 Dm7    Dm7    G7    G7
So very nice
   I'll hold your hands, they're just like ice

 C   
My mother will start worry
   Beautiful what’s your hurry?

 Cm   
And father will be pacing the floor
   Listen to the fireplace roar

 G   
So really i'd better scurry
   Beautiful please don't hurry

 Am    Am    D    D
But maybe just a half a drink more
   Put some records on while I pour

 G    Gmaj7    G    Gmaj7
The neighbors might think
   Baby it's bad out there

 Am    D7    Am    D7
Say, what's in this drink?
   No cabs to be had out there

 G    Gmaj7    G    G
I wish i knew how
   Your eyes are like starlight now

 Dm7    Dm7    G7    G7
To break the spell
   I'll take your hat, your hair looks swell

 C   
I ought to say, "No, no, no sir"
   Mind if I move in closer

 Cm    Cm    D7    D7
At least i'm gonna say that i tried
   What's the sense in hurtin' my pride?

 G    F7    E7    E7
I really can't stay
   Baby don't hold out

 A7    D7    G    G
   Ah, but it's cold outside


G    Gmaj7    G    Gmaj7
I simply must go…                         
   But baby it's cold outside

Am    D7    Am    D7
The answer is no…                        
   But baby it's cold outside

G    Gmaj7    G    G
The welcome has been                
   How lucky that you dropped in

Dm7    Dm7    G7    G7
So nice and warm                         
   Look out that window at that storm

C   
My sister will be suspicious                   
   Gosh your lips look delicious

 Cm   
My brother will be there at the door  
   Waves upon a tropical shore

 G   
My maiden aunt's mind is vicious        
   Gosh your lips are delicious

Am    Am    D    D
Well, maybe just a cigarette more       
   Never such a blizzard before

G    Gmaj7    G    Gmaj7
I've got to get home                   
   But baby you'd freeze out there

Am    D7    Am    D7
Say, lend me a coat                    
   It's up to your knees out there

G    Gmaj7    G    G
You've really been grand           
   I'm thrilled when you touch my hand

Dm7    Dm7    G7    G7
Why don't you see                     
   How can you do this thing to me?

C   
There's bound to be talk tomorrow   
   Think of my lifelong sorrow

Cm    Cm    D7    D7
At least there will be plenty implied  
   If you caught pneumonia and died

G    F7    E7    E7
I really can't stay                                    
   Get over that hold-out

A7    D7    G    G
Ah but it's cold outside
Baby it's cold…   out-      side

2 comments:

  1. So... I was looking for uke chords for this song and stumbled on your youtube video. I was thinking, "Wait! That looks like Grace! and I think that's Conrad!" AMAZING!!!! -Lovella

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was merely 11 when this was created wow

    ReplyDelete